We believe music is a universal language and provides opportunities for self-expression, creativity, and promotes an appreciation of culture. Our instrumental program is built upon tradition and excellence and truly encompasses the mind, body, and soul of our musicians. Recognized as the home to one of region’s top competitive marching bands, and a world known competitive drumline program, Rochester Catholic Schools invests in music education to support the gifts and talents of our students.
- The Eagle Elementary Band opportunities begin in elementary school. Our young musicians are encouraged to begin instrumental band beginning in fifth grade. Families will participate in a "Try-It Night" with our band directors. Students will explore woodwinds, brass, and percussion to help select an instrument of interest. Individual and small group lessons will begin midway through the fifth grade year during the school day. Our sixth through eighth grade students continue to study music theory and develop their skills on an instrument. Families are welcome to rent an instrument from a local music stores, purchase an instrument for their child, or if available, rent from RCS.
- As our young musicians develop their musical abilities, they are welcome to audition for the RCS Jr. High Jazz Band. This talented and lively group meets once a week before school and performs throughout the Rochester community. Jazz and improvisational skills are developed through this ensemble.
- Students from the Rochester Catholic Schools have the opportunity to practice and perform with the Hiawatha Valley League Jr. High and High School Honors Bands. Upon recommendation from their music educators, students prepare for a regional concert in November.
- Each year our junior high band students are invited to participate in a full day music workshop and meet other musicians from SE MN. The Jr. High Music Festival is a travel opportunity for our musicians to form lifelong friendships and discover the opportunities music offers in high school.
- As preparation for our high school band program, we offer a Jr. High Marching Band experience in June. Students perform in the Rochesterfest Parade and showcase the talents of our young musicians.
- Our LHS Concert Band serves our school community through its competitive marching band program, pep band program, and concert band program. As the only competitive Marching Eagles program in SE Minnesota, we spend August through October mastering a themed choreographed field show and performing at home football games, weekend competitions, and the Indoor Marching Band show. Our Eagle Pep Band is a musical highlight at not only our own athletic games, but is frequently recognized by area sport analysts at State Athletic tournaments as one of the top pep bands in the state! Follow this link to watch the 2017 show…...
- Unique to Lourdes High School is our Fall and Winter Color Guard. Our Color Guard members are a visual enhancement to our marching band field show. Our students master a choreographed show to compliment LHS Fall Competitive Marching Band performance. Our Winter Guard prepares a new competitive routine and travels on the weekends to showcase and compete in Winter Color Guard events.
- As the only competitive drumline in SE Minnesota, the LHS Winter Drumline is world-known for their excellence. This percussion ensemble practices January through April, participates in workshops, performs at weekend competitions, and closes their year at the World Guard International competition in Dayton, Ohio. Known as “The Sport of the Arts” across the nation, drumline is one of the fastest growing activities in student life. Follow this link to view the 2018 show, “Go With the Flow.”
Adding to the musical experiences Rochester Catholic Schools Junior High students is the option to participate in the RCS Junior High Jazz Band. This group welcomes students in grades 7 and 8 to a dynamic jazz ensemble. Musically, students will perform pieces by jazz composers, and gain experience in improvisation and advanced rhythmic techniques. Socially, students build a strong network of friends from across our three grade schools (St. John the Evangelist/St. Pius X School, St. Francis of Assisi School, Holy Spirit Catholic School).
To participate in the RCS Junior High Jazz Band, a student must be a member of an RCS school band program. Auditions are required for students who play percussion, keyboard, or guitar. For students playing saxophone, trombone or trumpet, no audition is required. Major performances include a Rochester Catholic Schools Spring Tour, two system-wide band concerts, and the Lourdes Night of Jazz event.
The RCS Junior High Jazz Band meets at the St. John the Evangelist campus at 7:00 a.m. with regular rehearsal running from 7:15-8:15 a.m. Rehearsal will conclude in time for the start of the normal school day.
If you are a student that has interest in participating in Junior High Jazz Band, please contact Mr. Mark Scheitel at email@example.com
The use of flags, as well as dance and movement, is part of the exciting experience of Color Guard. This group performs with the competitive marching band during the fall season. The Color Guard is a vital visual representation of the music and drill team. One exciting dimension of Color Guard is the costumes utilized by members to add dramatic effect to the “storytelling” aspect of the overall presentation. These costumes are designed to fit the theme/era of the music being presented. Color guard strives to connect our audience musically, physically, emotionally, and visually to the sights and sounds on the field.
To learn more about involvement with Color Guard, contact Ms. Britian at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our LHS jazz and improvisational instrumental ensemble, the Hi-Lighters performs both locally and regionally. The Hi-Lighters is an audition only ensemble with auditions held in the fall. Once the group is established for the year, our jazz musicians gather weekly for practice. The Hi- Lighters perform at galas, conferences, concerts, schools, competitions, jazz festivals and other venues to the delight of a wide variety of audiences. Be a part of dynamic musical ensemble which routinely receives enthusiastic response!
To learn more about involvement with Hi-Lighters, contact Ms. Nicole Skifton at
Jazz Combo is a non-audition Jazz Group welcoming all instruments and skill levels. In Jazz combo, students;
- Understand the basic fundamental elements of jazz music including melody and rhythm .
- Participate in processes associated with jazz music including listening, performing, notating, analyzing, and creating (improvisation).
- Enhance comprehension of jazz historical musical genres
- Read and interpret jazz music at an intermediate level.
Winter Drum line is a competitive indoor percussion ensemble that is open to students through audition. This ensemble incorporates the elements of musicality, marching, and theater into its performances. The drum line season includes local, regional, and national shows. Catch the beat! Come join us!
To learn more about involvement with Winter Drum line, contact Mr. Krueger at
Winter guard is a competitive marching activity similar yet separate from the LHS Marching Band Color Guard. In Winter Guard, students perform choreographed steps with flags, rifles, sabers, and air blades giving music participants an exciting platform on which to perform.
The LHS Winter Guard performs at events such as basketball games and Winter Guard competitions. The season runs from December-April. No audition is necessary and LHS Winter Guard is open to RCS students in grades 7-12.
The LHS Winter Guard is an excellent opportunity for making new friends and developing new skills. We welcome all current LHS music students to join winter guard as it helps prepare you with experience for your other musical endeavors such as the color guard section of marching band.