The RCS Board of Trustees is pleased to invite you to consider serving as a Lay Member on the RCS governing Board of Trustees. Inspired by the Sisters of St. Francis, the Board of Trustees embraces a legacy of quality Catholic education with a rich history steeped in a tradition of excellence and rooted in the Catholic faith.
With Bishop Quinn presiding as President, the Board of Trustees is comprised of six Pastors and six Lay Members who collectively are the decision-making body for Rochester Catholic Schools. Applications for term Lay Member positions, which will be expiring in 2019 school year, are now being accepted. We enthusiastically encourage all who have a positive interest in serving as a Lay Member to apply. To executively guide the selection process, a recent Skills and Gap Analysis has been conducted to identified areas and degrees of expertise that would complement and strengthen the diverse knowledge of the current board. Areas of interest and experience vary from academia, legal, non-profit, human resources, finance, and strategic planning - to name just a few, that bring value to the board and suit our organizational needs. However, first and foremost - an applicant’s desire to uphold the teachings of the Catholic Church and mission of RCS is paramount.
The Trustees will diligently review all applications and present candidates to Bishop Quinn for appointment to the board, effective July of 2019. All applications are confidential and will be retained on file for two years for future consideration.
We are optimistic about the positive impact of our Strategic Plan and believe that the next several years promise to be exciting for RCS and the community that we serve! We sincerely hope that you will prayerfully consider this invitation to apply personally - or encourage another - for a position on the RCS governing Board of Trustees. God Bless!
Online Application submission deadline is November 30, 2018
Selection Criteria & Roles and Responsibilities
Six lay people from the Roman Catholic parishes of the City of Rochester, State of Minnesota or from neighboring Roman Catholic Parishes to Rochester as approved by the Board shall be appointed by the Bishop upon the recommendation of the Pastors of the Rochester Roman Catholic Parishes.
Applicants will be asked for an application that allows the Nomination Committee to assess skills for the open positions on the Board, with a focus on gaps within the Board.
Per the Rochester Catholic School By-Laws for the Board of Trustees, Lay Members must meet the following criteria:
- Interest in and commitment to Catholic education in general, and a specific commitment to the mission and philosophy of Rochester Catholic Schools .
- Availability to attend meetings and periodic in-service programs and to participate in committee work.
- Ability to maintain high levels of integrity and confidentiality.
- Ability to deal with situations as they relate to the greater good of Rochester Catholic Schools.
- Capacity to give witness to Catholic and moral values within the school community.
- Willingness to participate in and provide leadership for resource development programs for the school system. It is the expectation that all Trustees will financially support the school to the best of their ability, consistent with the Board’s goal as presented in the annual development plan.
- Employees of Rochester Catholic Schools. or the Roman Catholic Parishes of the City of Rochester, and their spouses, other than those who serve in ex officio positions, may not serve on the Board. These stakeholders are to encouraged to invite qualified parishioners and school parents to apply.
The online application allows candidates to provide relevant details for consideration, and should be submitted via the online application. Applications will be received through November 30, 2018 and appointment by the Bishop for selected candidates will be completed on or before March 30, 2019. Contact the Board of Trustees with any questions via email at RCSTrustees@rcsmn.org
Role & Responsibilities of Lay Board Members
- Understand and ensure that Rochester Catholic Schools reaches its mission and vision.
- Understand the values of Rochester Catholic Schools and use them in decision making.
- Attend all regular and special board meetings and actively participate in proceedings.
- Participate in board member orientation.
- Support Rochester Catholic Schools financially for 100% Board participation.
- Attend as many organization events and fundraisers as possible.
- Share resources and talents with the organization.
- Serve as an advocate for the organization.
- Fulfill commitments within agreed-upon deadlines.
- Maintain and promote high ethical standards including good-faith board decision making.
- Avoid actual or perceived conflict of interest with other interests and/or organizations.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the private information of the organization, staff, and students.
- Understand and approve Rochester Catholic Schools policies and Board By-Laws.
- Monitor compliance with Rochester Catholic Schools’ budget and financial policies.
- Communicate effectively and respect the diverse opinions of others.
- Act with the care and loyalty required of board members.
- In the event that a board member can no longer fulfill the duties and responsibilities as a board member, immediately notify the board chair and make arrangements to transfer any outstanding responsibilities to other members of the board with 30 days notice.
- Regular scheduled board meetings are usually the 1st Tuesday of each month 7:00pm until 9:00pm
- Other meetings are scheduled as needed.
- Members are asked to serve a 3-year term
- Term limit - 2
- Director of Schools and Support Staff
- Central Office Personnel
Skills and Competencies:
- Objectivity—a big picture perspective
- Facilitation—ability to successfully engage others, reach consensus and resolve conflict
- Vision—an appreciation for what is possible
- Communication—ability to listen, advocate, persuade
- Demonstrated leadership—action oriented, ability to drive for results
- Collaborative Team Player
- Ability and willingness to challenge and probe
- Demonstrates common sense and sound judgement
- Acts with integrity and high ethical standards
- Understands effective decision-making processes
- Willingness and ability to devote time and energy to the role
- Strong listening and analytical skills and ability to think clearly and creatively
Online Application submission deadline is November 30, 2018