Dear RCS Community,
Welcome! What a blessing to soon begin another school year. Our administration, faculty, and staff are excited to walk this journey with your children and you. Thank you for your investment in and support of Catholic education. It is going to be an amazing year!
Each school year marks a time of new beginnings, and I would like to share a few of the many great things happening at Rochester Catholic Schools as we start the 2019 - 2020 school year.
- We are very excited to have three new members of our Leadership Team in place, Ms. Mary Spring, Assistant Principal at Lourdes High School, Mr. Scott Nielson, Director of Institutional Advancement, and Mr. Adam Mateske, Director of Technology. These three bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the system, providing unlimited opportunities to advance the mission of our schools.
- Several new faculty and staff members have also joined our talented RCS team. Pictured above are the new employees who were able to attend a system orientation on Monday. In addition, our returning staff has maintained their commitment to lifelong learning through attendance at seminars, conferences, and higher education courses. They are inspired and motivated to apply these new skills in the classroom with a continued focus on student success.
- The Curriculum Department and our teachers have been working on several curriculum and program updates in grades K-12. This includes updated curriculum in Religion and electives in grades K-8 and the launch of our new middle school with the Summit Learning Platform option. Lourdes High School will have an updated Math and Science curriculum sequence, as well as the following new offerings: electives in Creative Writing, Philosophical Thought, and Criminal Justice; a college credit option through a Concurrent English course; bi-weekly seminars for new and freshman students to discover strategies for success; and a new Student Ambassador Program.
- The Nest preschool program is flourishing, and the Summer Care program has experienced a dramatic increase in participation in its second year.
- The Activities Department has implemented a new administrative software, formed a new extracurricular Code of Conduct, improved website functionality for athletics, and kicked off a much anticipated Eagle Booster Club. In addition, our Fine Arts department has been preparing all summer to bring our community exciting productions beginning this school year, including the marching band's half-time and competition performance and a new fall play format.
- The Technology Department has upgraded all Computers to Windows 10 and prepared more than 200 new Chromebooks to start the new year.
- Our school campuses have received many enhancements, including freshly painted walls, new and updated landscaping, remodeled classrooms, resurfaced parking lots and play areas, waxed floors, and many other improvements that will greet our students and parents in the coming weeks. Many of these projects were accomplished through the aid of generous volunteers and dedicated staff demonstrating a shared sense of community and teamwork.
This list continues to grow as your RCS educators embrace the new year as motivated missionary disciples of Christ. It is essential to know that the study and teachings of Christ's life, as a model for our own, is a normal day in the life of a child at RCS. Education that teaches students the value of dignity, respect, and self-discipline, as a way to benefit others, is the type of education that is vital for holistic development. With our faith and reliance on the Holy Spirit, great things are happening as we prepare for an outstanding school year with a vision of hope.
We encourage you to share the great news about RCS whenever possible. Ask your friends and neighbors to take a look at RCS and attend events to support our youth in all their extracurricular endeavors. Together, we can continue enhancing our system for the betterment of our youth and serving Christ in our actions.
Please be sure to watch for Weekly Broadcasts to stay up to date on important information from your school, and join the RCS Facebook page to see all the great things happening throughout our system. Also, please check our Back to School and Parent Resourceswebpages for orientation dates, school supply lists, forms and other helpful items as your family prepares for the new school year.
With gratitude and blessings,
Director of Schools
Rochester Catholic Schools